Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Costa Maya, Mexico - Kohunlich

Our first port of call was Costa Maya Mexico and we were very excited to go to shore and experience our first shore excursion. The coastline was beautiful and the walk from the pier was nice. We waited in line for our excursion and got on a bus to take us about 2 hours out of town.Even after some technical difficulties with the bus, we still had a great time exploring these Mayan ruins. The day was gorgeous and the views from the tops of the ruins was magnificent. It was so neat to see the ruins of such an advanced civilization of ancient peoples.Ava did great - she was calm and happy and enjoyed riding in the Snugli. Jasmine did well most of the time but complained about the heat and the sun in her eyes for a while before she started to have a good time. I think it was a bit hard for her to understand exactly what she was seeing - I hope when she sees the pictures in the future, she will be able to appreciate it more.Lorne found some mighty bats inside a room at the top of one of the temples. Jasmine was a bit scared to go and look at them but Lorne took pictures so we could see them too - the climb was tricky for me with the baby strapped on.One of the things that really struck me on the bus ride was the poverty of the people in Mexico. How they lived and what little they had really touched me. I have seen poverty before but it had been a while since I had seen it this way and it reminded me about how grateful I am to have the life I have and about how much I have. Poverty like that doesn't exist in this country and it was very eye opening to me.After a long day of exploring, we headed back to the ship for a nice leisurely evening.

1 comments:

Laura said...

I FOUND THE BATS!!!