Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 2 and 3

We had planned on heading up to Boston and staying with my dearest friend Laura but Laura gave us a call and said we should take a detour to New Hampshire and stay a couple of days at her family's lake house. Since Lorne didn't have to work until Tuesday, we decided that would be a very fun thing to do. Laura explained that it had been her favorite place in the world when she was 4 years old and that Jasmine would love it.
We had planned on making as early of a start as possible but Jasmine woke up in the morning dry heaving (this she got too much sun the day before and not enough water) and so after bathing her and changing her clothes twice, we started out towards New Hampshire.It pretty much took us all day to get there as we had to stop frequently to care for the baby and bathroom breaks for Jasmine and of course we took a break for a nice food stop. We didn't arrive to the lake house until close to 8 PM and Laura's parents were so kind to have dinner ready for us and so we sat down to eat.
We were pretty tired so after dinner and a little chatting, we headed off to bed.The Richter family lake house is located in the Lake Winnipesaukee area on a small 2 mile lake that I don't remember the name of. It is a great house, spacious and tranquil. I immediately felt at home and the hospitality from Laura and her parents was so nice.Our first order of business was to go on a canoe ride around the lake and check it out. I waited on shore while Lorne, Laura and Jasmine took the first ride and then Lorne and Ava watched as I went our with Laura and Jasmine. It was great - we saw some amazing houses on the lake and a loon in the water.I love being with Laura - she is fun, bubbly and lively and makes me feel relaxed. I am accepted by her being myself and that is very freeing for me. I also loved meeting her family. I have known Laura no for about 5 years and it was about time I met her parents whom I had heard so much about. They were so great to us and to our children. That is always the mark of people we love - they have to be good to our kids. It doesn't hurt when they are good to us as well!Jasmine had a lot of fun playing on the dock and throwing sticks and a ball in for Otto, the Richter's Golden Retriever. We lamented not having brought Preston. If we are invited up again I think we may have to bring our pup next time. Jasmine loved being outside and playing with Laura and being near the water. She even accidentally fell in while playing with daddy!After a yummy lunch, we put Jasmine down for a nap and went out driving around the cute little town and seeing a few shops. I love quiet towns like this - it is so peaceful and quaint - very New Englandish...I loved it!Laura brought out some of her old toys for Jas to play with and they also had fun playing Candyland together. We even joined in and had a good time!Since Lorne had to work down in Boston the next day, we packed our things and went out to dinner at a restaurant called Canoe before heading back to the Richter Winchester Mass. house. The food at this restaurant was absolutley amazing. I can't wait to go back and eat there again. I had a shrimp macaroni and cheese that was to die for and I tried Lorne and Laura's food and theirs was equally as good!The drive down to Boston was thankfully uneventful and we crashed hard that night after a perfect day.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Yay!

And FYI it's Lake Kanasatka and the town is Moultonborough. :)

Jill said...

Wow - how beautiful! Looks like you had a fabulous time!

Lorne said...

Yepp - every bit as fun as it looked. Jasmine fell into the lake and fully dunked under the water. I reached in and hauled her out very quickly, but she was a little stunned from the cold water. We loved meeting Laura's family (all awesome people, ...can't wait to see Andy down here in DC for a visit sometime).

Emmy said...

I got relaxed just reading this post. I think Laura and I need to be friends! :)
Seriously, though. ..beautiful vacation and I am so thrilled you got to go!

Unknown said...

It looks friggin' awesome!
Just like the lakes in all those summer camp movies - like 'Meatballs' and 'Friday the 13th'
;-)