Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Cake Shop FINALLY Opens it's Doors!

So it finally happened - the moment we had been waiting for for 8 months (since we signed the lease on the place) the shop had passed all the obstacles and hurdles placed in its path and had an occupancy permit to open the doors. Yay for us!After speaking with the Mount Vernon Chamber of Commerce, we decided that September would be the best time for the whole Grand Opening Cermony and such since many people were still on vacation and school starts the day after Labor Day around here.
Since we had been paying rent here and not being able to use the property we decided on a soft opening for the bakery - that is to open the doors and start working and seeing what would happen.The only advertising I did was on Facebook and we bought a large banner to hang on the store that says NOW OPEN! We opened at 10 AM on Tuesday the 21st and Mary Ady was our first customer followed by my dad (who missed being the first customer by 2 minutes - in all fairness he was parked in the back and was there before Mary but Mary made the first purchase).It was a fabulous day - many people came out to support me in my new endeavor and it was touching that people would know how important this was to me and come.
It was hard that Lorne wasn't there as he was in Boston for work but I did have a very special and unexpected surprise. Cindy came in with Eleana all the way from Frederick, MD and it was amazing when she walked in. I was blown away and hadn't expected her to come. It showed how much she loved me that she would go out of her way like that to be supportive.Laura too was by my side all day helping with the girls and being supportive and buying cupcakes. As I said previously in my ode to her, she was an amazing support and I couldn't have done it without her.For history's sake, that day our flavors were Red Velvet, Pink Champagne, Chocolate Madness, Chocolate and Black Raspberry, Poached Pear and Strawberry Lemonade. It was an exhausting day but very fun and the realization of a dream. Now if I can make it into a success that will be the most amazing thing!

0 comments: