Friday, December 5, 2008

Our Feelings on our new sweetheart

Daddy's Thoughts

Since Sabrina promised we’d put our thoughts here, I’m writing this little something. As you all know, we’re expecting a little girl. When I got that news 4 years ago for Jasmine, my excitement was tinged with a little fear. I had come from a family of all boys – and I had no idea what to do with a girl! (I was barely managing to grasp the complexities of my wife!). But anyone who knows us, knows that I adore Jasmine with all my heart and she loves her daddy equally. In fact, I have been blown away by the awesome daddy/daughter relationship (I’m sure there are lots of dads and daughters who understand). I’ve felt so lucky to have a little girl (Sabrina can be a little jealous when Jasmine screams, “I want daddy!”) – and now that blessing is being doubled.

Now – for the practicalities… and these benefits of having another girl are ones you can take to the bank! All the clothes we bought for Jasmine can be re-used!! Whoo Hooo!!! That’s going to save me a TON of cash. Those toys will also get a second life! (Better 2 kids playing with a toy for 10 mins then losing interest, than one kid for 5 mins). Lastly, I can leave the nursery decorated as-is, and not have to re-paint with “boy colours” (…I’d be interested to read the study on gender identity and bedroom wall paint). So bottom line – this little XX is going to save me $$.

Mommy's Thoughts

I was sure we were having a boy. Not because we already had a girl or we planned on just one of each but I had this feeling I was having a boy. I never even entertained the thought that this baby could be a girl. I just knew. Ha Ha - the joke was on me. When people would say that we were having a boy I agreed and when a few people said we were having a girl I laughed at them - in silence of course!

The morning of the ultrasound I got to thinking while I was in the shower - I do this a lot sometimes - it helps when they hot water is streaming down my back! I started thinking about my desires for this baby to be healthy and to have all the bits and pieces it was supposed to have and that it really didn't matter if the baby was a boy or girl. Then the thinking got further as I thought about the positives for having another girl. Lorne mentioned some of them in his post. I thought of the money saving but also of the relationship Jasmine could have with a little sister and how close I am to my cousin as if she were my sister and wanted that for Jasmine. I also thought that having another girl might tone down Jasmine's massive ego and thinking she is the center of the universe! I think it will be good for her - as she is already such a wonderful girl - she will be a great big sister and she will adore her new baby sister.

When we were in the ultrasound room I couldn't see the monitor as I laid there looking at the ceiling and so I entertained myself by watching Lorne's reaction as he watched the screen. As we have been so busy, we haven't thought as much about this pregnancy - it has been something happening in the background - and since I haven't been showing much at all, it became a reality to Lorne in the moment he saw our sweetie on the screen. He was in awe - in love with this new life we would be bringing into our family. He also figured out she was a girl before the technician told us - he didn't want to say - I think he was in shock but he was happy. We were more happy that the baby has a perfect spine and that the Dr. said they couldn't ask for a better ultrasound. The baby is perfect and we are excited to meet her.

I am the first person in my family to have more than one girl and it ought to be interesting. I never thought about having more than one but I am open to it of course and hope that she will love us as much as we already love her. What a blessing to be parents again - we can't wait until April!

4 comments:

Jill said...

You never know Sabrina... it could still be a boy... ultrasounds have been wrong before!!! Either way, it will be a perfectly blessed little one to be a part of your family. We love you guys!

Susan said...

Girls are wonderful and we are happy to have a new one coming to our family. For us grandparents, the sex of the baby doesn't matter,what matters is to have a new person to love.

Sara said...

Great post. Just about moved me to tears! I am excited for you to see the sisterhood bond grow. I know that my two girls are close even though they have only been on this mortal existence together for three months. I am sure they have always been close. Awe babies are wonderful things aren't they. They bring so much happiness and joy no matter who you are.

Dayna said...

Jasmine is so lucky that she will have the sisterly bond that only sisters (I have 2) have. I so wanted that for Mya, but my poor baby didn't get it. She did however get what I never did and that is a brother (times 2). Good luck and God bless!