Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving

I was excited about Thanksgiving because we were celebrating it with the family and I always love that because it means a big celebration. To me, a holiday isn't a holiday unless it is a big production. I know there is much said about a more intimate celebration, but I am afraid that isn't for me - I tried it before.
It was hosted at my uncle and aunt's house in Manassas this year and each of the different families were responsible for bringing different items. I was in charge of dessert - what a surprise! :) I am please that the family likes my dessert and asks me to bring it whenever possible. I decided on an apple pie, a cherry pie, and 2 chocolate mousse pies. I pawned off the pumpkin pie on my mother since she was only asked to bring corn!When I woke up that morning I immediately put on the Macy's Day Parade so that Jasmine could watch it. I remember being awoken by my dad every year that I was growing up to watch the parade and now I am having my child watch it. She only half enjoyed it - maybe she needs a few more years to get into it!
We then headed to the Grist Mill park to watch Lorne play in the annual Elder's Quorum Turkey Bowl. Jasmine cheered from the sidelines with me and we got to watch Lorne intercept the football once and play his heart out! I am glad he takes part in this tradition because it is fun to watch him play with the guys.After delivering a cake to a client and getting ready, we headed out to Manassas so we would be there before 3 PM. With our pies in tow, we arrived safely and it seemed everyone was happy to see us. After the setup of the food we all took turns dishing up and we ate all of the traditional fare of course. Everything I love about Thanksgiving - food wise - was represented. We had turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, green beans, corn, and bread. It was all delicious and we ate almost everything - there wasn't much left for anyone to take leftovers.Jasmine had a blast talking with everyone and playing with Roman again. She ate a lot of corn and sweet potatoes but didn't touch much else - I think she was too excited. We all sat around talking and enjoying the company and after while, eating the desserts. Everyone raved and it was all a huge success.I took a lot of pictures as I always do and we left around 7 PM to make sure we got home in time for a bit of rest before bedtime. I do have so much to be thankful for and if I began to list it all, it would take me all day. Suffice it to say that I am thankful for the richness of my life - my family, friends, my testimony of the living God and my Savior, my home, my talents and all the rest of the things that I am so blessed with.

1 comments:

The Tones of the Zarcone's said...

Um...the turkey's hangy thingy looks um...like a...well....

:) Sorry, it is all I can think of when I look at that cake!

xoxo,
C