Sunday, September 30, 2007

Day 7 - Last Day in Wurzburg

Sunday morning was a sad morning because I realized that it was our last full day in Wurzburg and the next day we would be travelling home. Ute wanted to spend the day with us and we were happy to do so - how many brides want to see their friends 2 days after they get married? I felt special. They had a lot of post wedding details to finish so we tagged along. I wanted to walk from the hotel to Papa's apartment and so Jasmine and I took another long walk and it was so refreshing. We got there in about 20 minutes and got to munch on some leftover wedding cake and help Ute & Reg begin packing for their honeymoon and trip back to China.

We then went to the cemetery to visit Opi's grave with Omi. He passed away in June and Ute took the flowers that adorned the chairs at the wedding ceremony and placed them at his grave. It was nice to be included in this private family moment, but it was also nice to see the grave as I had loved Opi very much. They tended the plot and we took some pictures and Jasmine really got into helping water the flowers and plants. She had grown quite attached to Omi on this trip and it was nice to see how they let her help. We took a trip to Lauda (the company where Papa works) to return the mini bus that belongs to the company that they had lent for wedding use. Papa gave us a tour After we dropped off the mini bus, we went to the little town where Antie's (Papa's girlfriend) cafe is located and had some cake and drinks there and enjoyed the afternoon weather and company. Antie is a pastry chef and owns this beautiful cafe which is surprisingly big (seats 140 inside and 120 outside). The cakes they make fresh were delicious and I really enjoyed the atmosphere there. After our cake snack (by the way, have you noticed the only thing I have eaten so far on day 7 is cake? Jasmine did get breakfast but then cake also!), we took a walk through the gardens and surrounding area to the cafe. It was around 5 pm and it is a nice time of day in the fall as the sun is a bit lower in the sky and the lighting is softer. Jasmine saw some ducks and we passed some pear trees, and it was a scene out of a movie. I felt very content.
After Antie was done closing, we headed back to Wurzburg for some dinner and ate at a very delicious Greek restaurant. I do like Greek food but the quality often found here in the U.S. leaves much to be desired. I had an amazing dish - it was lamb meat baked in cheese with potatoes and the Greek yogurt sauce on the side. It came with a delicious fresh salad and I was in heaven. I am still dreaming of the taste of this dish!
The close of the day had come and Ute & Reg drove us back to the hotel and everyone said their goodbyes. I got a bit teary and sad at knowing it would probably be a while before I saw these dear friends again. I felt so blessed to have been able to make the trip and I publicly want to thank my wonderful husband Lorne for making it possible and giving all he gave so we could go. It was truly a special time and gave me some time to relax and recharge. Now, back to the real world!

Jasmine and Mommy enjoying cake at the Cafe

View from my seat at the cafe

Cafe Schlossgarten

I kid you not, my first pear tree - no partridge though

Pretty fountain on our walk

0 comments: