Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Day 3 - Festung Marienberg

On the third day of Germany, we did some touristing with Ute's new in-laws from Brazil. We met them at a nice bakery at the foot of my favorite bridge (Alte Mainbrucke) and then made our way to the fortress of the city (Festung Marienburg). When I lived in Germany in 1995, I had a room in an apartment that had an amazing view, and I could see the fortress or what I call a castle from my window.

Fortress Marienberg (German: Festung Marienberg) is a prominent landmark on the Main river in Würzburg, Germany. It has been a fort since ancient times. After Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden conquered the area in 1631, the castle was reconstructed in the Baroque style. Today, it is a park and museum.
Ute played tour guide with us and it was nice to meet her parents-in law (Reginaldo & Mali Lopes) and Reg's brother Tutuco.
Jasmine had a great time running around and exploring the grounds and we walked all around the fortress admiring the view of the city of Wurzburg from the top of this amazing hill. This was the first place I visited when I arrived in Wurzburg 12 years ago and it was a sweet moment to be able to take my beautiful daughter there and share it with her, even if she won't remember it later.
Jasmine was the Belle of Wurzburg and captured everyone's heart with her outgoing and sunny personality. Reg's family really had fun with her and Reg's father, Reginaldo was in love and giving Jasmine flowers and playing with her.
After lunch, we settled into our hotel (The Mercure) and took naps - both Jasmine and I. Then we were whisked away to a big family dinner where Ute's family would meet Reg's family for the first time. I was very honored to be invited to the dinner and the food was great and the company was lovely. After the 3 hour dinner, we went back to the hotel and settled in for the night.

Posing with the view of the city behind me!

Scenes of a City

Look on the left hand side of the picture and you can see my favorite bridge in the distance.

Jasmine takes a stroll with Tia Ute

Tutuco and Jasmine find common ground!

Jan holds Jasmine up

The restaurant of the night

Families unite over good food

Mommy & Jasmine looking dapper for the evening meal.

1 comments:

Jill said...

Germany looks beautiful!! I must go there someday! Maybe you could be our tour guide!! :)