Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Our Biggest Walk Yet!





So, I never gave an update last week on our big walk! We did 22 miles last Saturday the 19th. We started at my house (my mom and I) and Marcia parked at Roosevelt Island again and started from there. We walked from my house to Mount Vernon, through Old Town Alexandria, past National Airport and finally arriving at the base of the Key Bridge again where it is the official end of the Mount Vernon trail. Margie (who is doing crew for the walk as part of our team) joined us at the Marina past Old Town and walked with us to Gravelly Point. I can now say I have walked every inch of that trail and several times too! I feel so amazingly accomplished that I have really taken this commitment seriously and I am amazed at what I have been able to do and put my body through.

Sunday we walked 10 miles and it was kinda hard but nice to be able to take a slower pace. We did our walk in the evening and experienced some rain but thankfully our feet didn't get wet so that made for a much more comfortable walk than having to slosh around in wet socks and shoes.

Of course my body isn't as fit as it needs to be yet, but I am on the path to making that a reality. After this walk I plan on putting a little more effort into pushing myself harder on cardio and strengthening my abs (those poor muscles, they aren't as taut as they used to be!). I can't believe that this weekend is the what I have been training for for the last 13 weeks! A little over 3 months! It is amazing and I know that I will be able to complete the walk and it will be amazing.

Our team has all made their fundraising goals and I have been touched by every one's generosity and support of these goals that I set for myself. I feel so committed to all of you who have donated and I do this walk in honor of all of you. If you still haven't donated, you still can on my Avon Walk page - there is no penalty for going over and I know there are still a few of you who said you would donate and haven't yet!

I pray that the weather this coming weekend won't be too hot, this past weekend we walked 8 miles on Saturday (they didn't want us to walk too many before the actual walk to give our bodies rest) and it was so hot and humid it was like walking through a haze. It was so rough to walk in that weather. Sunday we walked 4 miles and it really felt like a puny nothing walk. We have come a long way when at the beginning of all of this, 8 miles was a LONG way to walk. Now I don't even need an energy bar to do that walk. It is amazing what training will do!

If you want to come and cheer me on this weekend, there are several cheering stations (http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/DocServer/2008_-_DC_-_Cheering_Stations_Let_s_Walk_Supplement.pdf?docID=7722) that you can see me doing the BIG walk - I would love for you all to come out and yell for us - Go Team Harmony!

3 comments:

The Tones of the Zarcone's said...

I am so proud of you guys! I will not be able to cheer on you guys in person, but I will be there in spirit! Be careful and enjoy your walk!

xoxo,
C

Jeff said...

You've worked so hard for this - congratulations! Good Luck this weekend. I wish I could make it out to cheer you on, but Jeff will be out of town and I'm not up to taking both kids downtown by myself.
You'll do awesome! I can't wait to hear all about it!
~Jill

Dayna said...

You are one HOT MOMMA! Looking good girl and of corse GOOD LUCK!!!