Monday, April 28, 2008

Best $150 I have spent in a while

So last Monday I had the amazing opportunity to take a cake class from Nicholas Lodge who is a British man with an amazing cake reputation. He runs a sugar arts school in Georgia and also travels all over giving classes. I was excited because this calss was to teach us how to make a French Purse Cake (this is his own design). This was also good because it gives is a basis of which to make other purse cakes. Also, since it was made on a styrofoam dummy, I have a nice display for my bakery.
Nicholas was an amazing teacher. He showed us step by step what to do and then let us do it on our own. He also had all the supplies and tools we needed so I didn't have to bring anything. I did bring my camera! Also, since it was an all day class (9 AM until 6 PM) we also had lunch included.

One of my favorite aspects of the class was when he would show us how to use certain tools. He would tell us the many different ways in which the same tool could be used. It was amazing how much easier things get when you know how to use toold properly. I also decided I couldn't live without some of the tools after taking the class so I did buy a few new toys including a pasta attachment for my kitchen aid (helps with fondant rolling).It was so fun to have Norman Davis (amazing cake guy who competes on Food Network a lot) taking the class with us and I got to know him a bit better and make a connection. He told me funny stories of cake dramas he has had (like having the cops called on him during a cake delivery) and was just a nice guy to chat with. He owns a cakery in Annandale called the Sweet Life. He was also the judge at the Chocolate Lover's Festival where we won our honors in February!So I came home with more knowledge, practical skill, and new gadgets with which to make more amazing cakes with! I can't wait to take another cake class someday! And really, the purse cake is so cute - who isn't going to want to order one??

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh I'm soooo jealous!!!!

Dayna said...

Wow, that looks so real I wouldn't be surprised if there was some spare change at the bottom of it...can you make a Coach one too?

Susan said...

I am so happy you posted this cake at last! It is amazing. Your workmanship is so refined! I am showing it to everyone in the office and they can't believe that you can do that! They don't know how talented my daughter is. Just like her Mom :0

Classics and Country said...

How Fun....Good job on your cake!