Thursday, January 24, 2008

Such a Bad Day!

So, you all know by now that I am training for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer (don't worry, I haven't forgotten to hit you all up for money yet - that's comin'). Anyhow, today I got up and got into my workout clothes because after I dropped Jasmine off at school, the plan was to go to the gym and walk the 3 miles that I am supposed to walk according to my training schedule.

It did not happen. Jasmine's school is only a half a mile away and halfway there my car started doing some funny things. The car started losing power and jerking a bit. I listened for noise but there wasn't any. Also, as if in a scary movie, the check engine light started flashing. It seemed to be saying, "Warning, Warning, Danger!". I got the car to school and decided it would not be a good idea for me to drive it anywhere else for fear of breaking whatever was broken worse.
Luckily for me, Lorne had come home last night (only for the night) and was still at home preparing to leave. I called him and my knight in shining armor came and rescued me. I spent the rest of the morning calling the insurance company (to ask if they covered towing), calling the dealership to let them know my sick Passat was coming in, and calling a towing company to come and get the car. Then, I drove back to the school (this time in Lorne's car) to wait for the tow truck to arrive. About 45 minutes later, the car was on its way to Springfield and I was on my way to the airport so Lorne could rent a car.
Needless to say that I only had enough time after all that mess to drive home in the nick of time to pick Jasmine up from school. Here, the story gets a bit more depressing. As I was bummed out, I couldn't face making a healthy lunch choice so I broke down and went to the Golden arches for lunch. Oh the dirty shame. I even knew while waiting in the drive through line that this was not the answer to my problems but I didn't care, I was feeling wreck less.
Well, since you should never use food to medicate, you guessed it, it didn't help. After the double cheeseburger, large fries and Diet Coke (to wash it all down) I felt worse and believe me, I knew I would. No matter, the deed was done. I cemented it with a handful of chocolate dipped pretzels because, what the heck - I was already down for the count!
In my misery (and yes, I was wallowing), the phone rang. It was the dealership. As I asked the nice man what was wrong, he sighed. I knew this was not to be a good call. He gave me a list totalling to around $2500. All important stuff. The reason my car broke down comes down to this list:

1. The Secondary air pump (I didn't know I had one of those) seized up and stopped working, thus needing to be replaced. Because it seized up it caused problem number 2...
2. The Secondary sir pump Relay burned out, also needing to be replaced...these 2 problems lead to problem number 3...
3. 2 ignition coils needed to be replaced. It seems that by the time I got to the school I was basically driving on 2 cylinder (which explains the loss of power and perhaps the blinking danger light)

Total just to get the car running again - $1150

Next, there was more bad news...apparently -

1. My front brake pads and roters were BAD, very bad. The guy said that car would not pass inspection at this time and he wouldn't recommend driving it with a child in the car (how my life is less valuable I am still trying to figure out) Front brake overhaul - $560
2. My rear brake pads and roters were as bad or worse than the front. Rear brake overhaul - $459
3. Just in case all that was not enough, my drive belts were dry and cracking and could snap at any time - recommend replacement $210

Total to make sure the car runs next month - $2379 + TAX

Well, at this point any self-respecting girl tells the man at the dealership she'll call him back and proceeds to call her brilliant mechanic of a brother. He confirms that those are indeed legitimate problems and kindly offers to do half of the work for only the cost of the parts. He said that I should pay to get the first 3 things done so we could get the car to Tysons to the garage where he works and then he will do the belts and the brakes! I am so happy, he will be saving us like $1,000.
Lorne approved of this plan and the car is ready with the first 3 things done (I have yet to pick it up - how does one person accomplish such a task? Remember Lorne is not home) I have to give it to the dealership, they were done fast and even gave the car a much needed bath.
Well, at least I made it to choir and I tried to redeem my bad lunch choice with a good dinner choice (Subway off of the healthy menu) and no dessert. Also, after picking up Jasmine, Marcia came over and we did a 3 mile workout tape she had. Even though it was the middle of the night, I am glad I did it. Now it is off to bed for me! I am sure tomorrow will be another day - a better day!

6 comments:

Susan said...

I think this is your best post ever! I guess missery inspires you. Sorry for the problems. However, the Springfield dealership will give you a car. You should have asked them for one and it is free (well, probably included in the inflated prices but what the heck!).

Jill said...

What an awful day!! I'm always so impressed how you know how to handle these things. I think I would have just freaked out.
Good luck getting everything fixed in a timely manner!
Let me know if you need anything!

Shelly said...

Totally sad, and only funny in retrospect. We've all been there -especially with the bad food choice. I did a similar thing on Monday at the mall - I'm still kicking myself about it. I completely hear you on the whole "with a child in the car" line repairman use. As if my safety and that of my husband's isn't just as important. Thank goodness for brothers who are mechanics. You're luck! Hang in there and call me if you need anything. I mean it!

Cindylou said...

I didn't mean to laugh, but your comment on how you are trying to figure out how your life is of less value then Jasmine's made me laugh out loud. Of course it is valuable, but it is funny how children always get put first in everything, even if Mommy is just as important in terms of safety.

You KNOW that I understand your frustration in terms of car repairs, etc. That is what we dealt with last month during the accident, and it is NEVER easy.

Don't feel bad about the food. I ate a piece of cake and three cookies yesterday...and I am pregnant. Gaining weight is what I am SUPPOSED to do, but unnecessarily b/c I can't control my love for chocolate??? Not necessary at all! :) We all have our weaknesses for food!

Love you.

C

Unknown said...

I loved your use of the word "wreckless" - please tell me it was intentional!

Dayna said...

Oh, the shame!!! Too funny. I would eat there everyday. Have I mentioned that I need to lose about 30 lbs? LOL