Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Years' Travel - Part 1 The Big Apple

So, the day after Christmas we readied ourselves to leave for a week. We had decided a few months back that we would go to Canada to visit Summer & James - friends of ours (Summer was one of my mission companions) as they have been down to visit us twice and we haven't gone up there (except for their wedding like 6 years ago). They were thrilled to have us. We also decided we would stop in Cleveland on our way, to break up the trip and see Michele and Terry (who we hadn't seen since my birthday). Well, to make it even more fun. Lorne has been busily and stressfully trying to close a deal with Toys R Us and so he had to go to New York for a business trip, so we tacked that on at the beginning as well.

We spent Boxing day doing just that. We packed our things and also got the house ready for our new window installation that took place while we were gone (thank goodness, I didn't want to be around for that!). Rory also came over and we hung out with him for most of the day until we left around dinnertime to drive up to the Big Apple.
We arrived rather late and Jasmine threw a fit in the car about an hour before we arrived. She was exhausted and I decided she had watched enough movies on the DVD player so I pulled the plug - literally - and she went ballistic. She screamed at the top of her lungs for 20 minutes (we times her) and she was just beside herself. After 20 minutes I told her it was enough and was very stern with her and she eventually calmed down enough to fall asleep.
This was Jasmine's first visit to New York City and I was excited that she was there while the Christmas decorations were still up. If you haven't been there during the holiday season, you must go sometime. The city is amazing and the decorations are breathtaking! Jasmine and I had fun piggy backing on Daddy's business trip and we got to eat like queens and stay in a nice hotel room (courtesy of Oracle).
I took Jasmine shopping, which is something you also must do in New York if you have never done it, best shopping in the world! The only problem was I forgot to bring the stroller, a mistake I wish never to duplicate. We walked around New York and shopped for 3 hours and it was the most difficult and frustrating shopping I have ever done. Have you ever tried to shop one handed for clothes? And tried to carry the clothes and keep a grip on a feisty two year old? This is not for the faint of heart. Only a true and dedicated shopper would venture to continue after the hassle of the first store. She was constantly trying to make me let her go and trying to touch things (she shoplifted a roll of Spree candy - I didn't notice until we were away from the store but I went back and paid for it later). Did I mention it was raining?
I managed to find some cute stuff and almost stayed within budget! I also took Jasmine into the Disney Store on 5th Avenue and she was in heaven. I told her she could have one toy and she chose a Disney princess toy (that's my girl!).
After the shopping fiasco we went back to the hotel for Jasmine to have a nap. She crashed hard, I am sure all that walking took the energy right out of her!

That night we had a reservation to eat at Perilla 9, a restaurant in the Village owned by Top Chef Season 1 winner Harold Dieterle. He wasn't there (sniff) but the food was amazing and totally worth the splurge. We had the scallop appetizer (to die for) and then I had Pork Tenderloin (with Pomegranate seeds and grits) and Lorne had the Duck. It was amazing. There was even a Risotto side that Jasmine had as her dinner that was creamy and full of flavor, she loved it.
We stopped at Magnolia Bakery so I could check out their famous cupcakes and take a look at their bakery. I wasn't that impressed. I think my flavors are more creative and taste better. But it was fun to do a little business research. I bought some cupcakes and we enjoyed scoffing them down.
The next day we strolled around New York before we had to get in the car and begin the 7 hour drive to Cleveland. We showed Jasmine Rockefeller plaza and also Radio City Music Hall. We bought her a pretzel on the street and looked at the fun Christmas decorations. It was fun. We then packed up our things and left New York City. Thus ends part 1 of our journey toward the New Year.

1 comments:

Laura said...

heey! happy new year. all your christmas and other holiday stories sound like you've had great fun! :) in terms of your birthday, its about 80% that i WILL be there! it depends some on my exam schedule, etc but i will do my best to make it! love you lots! miss you! xxx