Friday, November 30, 2007

Washington DC Temple Lighting Ceremony

I had the amazing opportunity to sing and play the flute in the lighting ceremony for the Washington DC temple lights this year. The Mormon Choir of Washington (of which I am a member) was asked to sing at this special even on Wednesday and Thursday (Nov. 28 & 29). They didn't tell us who the guests would be, although we did find out that it was by invitation only.

We rehearsed there on Tuesday night and then arrived on Wednesday night ready to sing. I also accompany the choir occasionally on the flute and in this concert I was not only playing the flute, but the piccolo also. They told us while we were warming up that we would be performing for President Boyd K. Packer, Elder Dallin H. Oaks (both one of the 12 apostles of the church) and Elder J.W. Marriott Jr. (area authority) and also the guest of honor would be the Ambassador of Indonesia.

President Boyd. K. Packer
Elder Dallin H. Oaks
It was an amazingly spiritual night. I was so humbled to be able to share my talent for apostles of the Lord. I was seated directly behind Elder Oaks and was singing in his ear (he was about 6 inches away). I prayed that my voice was OK and that I wouldn't make any mistakes so he wouldn't wonder who that soprano was behind him! President Packer made some remarks that touched my soul in particular. He said that many people don't know the meaning of the word Father. When we are young, we think we know or that we will find out when we are parents, but that isn't so. When we do have a child, we begin to understand a bit more about what it means to be a father but it isn't until we hold a precious child in our arms and Heavenly Father whispers to us that we cannot keep this child that we truly understand what it is like and what it means to be a father. Our Heavenly Father loves us so much and wants us to be happy and to return to live with Him but many times we stray and don't do those things and He feels pain at the thought of losing us, and He has lost many of His children. This made me think of my role as a mother and the deep love I feel for Jasmine. I would be utterly heartbroken if I were to lose her. It only gives me a glimpse of how our Heavenly Father feels about the love He has for us. Well, the music went well, and the other remarks were great too, and I left with a light feeling that I was in the right place that night. They were there on Thursday night as well, and the remarks were nice, but different. I knew that I had heard what I was meant to hear the previous night. I played well and I hoped that my music touched the audience.
Marcia and I got pictures by a few of the Christmas trees that they had decorated in the Visitor's Center in our choir dresses! What a priviledge it is for us to sing in this choir!

0 comments: