Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Cupcake Catastrophe

We had one of our customers call us and order some cupcakes last minute for her daughter's kindergarten class. As this lady is from the UK she requested fireworks cupcakes because yesterday was Guy Fawkes Day and in the UK they have massive bonfires and fireworks to celebrate. Anyway, I digress...she came over yesterday morning at 8:30 AM to pick them up. She was in a rush because she had an appointment to get to so I walked to the door to see her off. She was rushing across the yard when SHE WENT DOWN! she fell flat onto the cupcake box. She got up a bit upset and I quickly said without even surveying the damage, "I can fix it!" Well, she said that she needed to have them to the school by 10:30 AM - I said she shouldn't worry and to call me when she was done at the gym (her appointment). She was pretty upset as she walked away saying it was the story of her life.

Well, I went to work. Luckily, we had a lot of cupcakes left over - we were only 4 short from filling the order. I looked in the box and there were 4 I could save if I scraped off the icing and re-did them. Since I already had colored buttercream, I quickly went to work. I had the cupcakes re-decorated in 40 minutes and she called me when I was boxing them up. I met her at the gym and gave her the new cupcakes. She said she was very grateful and left.

I believe in good customer service and I also thought of her little girl and how disappointed she would be if mom showed up to school without and cupcakes. I am glad I was able to do it and that I had made extra.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Did she pay for the extra cupcakes? I would say that it was her fault the cupcakes collapsed! Or at least a tip?

Cindylou said...

I agree with your Mama, but I am sure you let it go as you are still trying to build your business and want her to tell everyone what good customer service she was given despite her silly incident. :) I am sure she appreciated it even more!

Emmy said...

GREAT customer service, indeed! I hope she paid you for the mistake that SHE made. I have to admit. . . I am not feeling to christ-like here. . .I really hope she paid for her mistake. And, if she didn't. . .don't tell me! I will be grumpy. :)

Libbyann78 said...

good thing for her you had the extra time too! you go girl!