Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was great this year. It was chock full of activity. The day began with Lorne playing a little football at the annual turkey bowl that his Elder's Quorum has every year. As Lorne is the Elder's Quorum president, it was his responsibility to organize the event. It was held at the Grist Mill park which is practically across the street from us. Jasmine and I walked over and watched the game. Jasmine really got into the excitement of things and when daddy took a break to come say hi to us on the sidelines, Jasmine decided she wanted to get in on the fun and went out on the field to play. She played for about 10 minutes before she got accidentally tackled (run over) and then she decided the game wasn't for her and joined me again on the sidelines.
We also watched a bit of the Macy's Day parade, which isn't as good as it used to be when I was a kid. I wanted Jasmine to watch it and get into it - I remember when I was young, my dad would wake us up on Thanksgiving morning with very loud John Phillip Sousa marches playing on the stereo (so loud it shook the house) and he would march into all of our rooms, holding the fireplace poker like he was the drum major of the band. We used to act like we hated it (I think we did a little!) but now it is a fun memory to recall. After he woke us up he would announce the parade and we would sit in our PJ's and watch it. I don't think Jasmine was impressed this year because as we watched she would periodically turn to me and say, Mommy, can we watch Playhouse Disney - I want to watch Tigger & Pooh". Oh well, there is always next year.
I baked a cake to take to Thanksgiving dinner and while it cooled, Kelleen and the girls asked us to come to the park to play, so we did. It was nice to walk back to the park and watch the girls have a good time together. It was such a nice day that there were other kids out and about too and I think it made us hungry for turkey dinner.
We all got together at Tio Robert and Tia Susana's house. Everyone was there, minus some loved ones (Rory, Ryan & Family and Robbie & Family were very missed). We socialized and had some appetizers (Abuela Meme's pizza Kiena was a favorite) to warm up our stomachs. The decor was lovely, there was a large table set up and everyone had a place card at their seat.
The food was fabulous! Tio Robert went gourmet this year and really made some delicious food. Among my favorites were the creamed corn, the stuffing, and Abuela Meme's sweet potatoes (covered in marshmallows). The only thing I missed a little was the mashed potatoes, as we had roasted fingerling potatoes this year (which were superb). It was nice that alongside the turkey we had lamb as well. After stuffing ourselves, we settled in for some more socializing and I had a lot of fun laughing with my uncle in the kitchen and watching Jasmine run around with Lily, the dog. Everyone was in such a great mood and it was nice to spend the holiday with family. I don't know what I would do without them. They make my life more full and I know that Jasmine feels like she is part of a strong family. That is so important to me.Dessert was great too. Along with the apple and pumpkin pies we had a pumpkin cake with an apricot filling, pastelitos and pasta frola.I want you all to know that my heart is full of gratitude for each of you. My husband is the greatest blessing that I have been given and I would not want to imagine life without him. He is always a support to me and a confidant. He understands me and puts up with my shortcomings and my gratitude for all he does for us is always present in my heart. I have been blessed with the most amazing little daughter. She makes my life better, she is my joy. Caring for her is an awesome responsibility and I am grateful that Heavenly Father has given her to me. The love that I feel for my extended family (those near and far) cannot be expressed with mere words. They are my lifeblood and the place where I feel accepted and nurtured. And my friends, you are all like family to me and I want you to know that your friendship has blessed my life and made it rich with peace and love. It is so wonderful to know that I can count on you and have fun with you and make memories with you. Please know that I am eternally grateful for having met each and every one of you. My life has been blessed by you.As you can see, I live a very blessed life, surrounded by people I love and care about. None of this would be if I did not express my undying gratitude for a Father in Heaven who loves me and knows me. All I am and all I will become is because He blesses me with my talents and abilities. I am grateful for Jesus Christ, our Savior and for his sacrifice for us, that through Him, we may live with our Father in Heaven again. He gave all so that we might live.


Jasmine & Titi (Natalia) play pool after dinner

1 comments:

Libbyann78 said...

I want pumpkin cake w/apricot filling! SOUNDS AWESOME! ALL OF IT!