Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Taste of Mount Vernon

To promote our business, we decided to be the only cake shop at the Taste of Mount Vernon. This event was done by the Mount Vernon-Lee Chamber of Commerce (which I am a proud member of) and it was held at Collingwood Library and museum (the same place Charles and Lesley were married). It was an event where local food vendors (caterers and such) could come and show off what they do. I was happy I was the only cake vendor there. There were many caterers and some restaurants.I didn't know what to expect or really what to bring (except delicious cupcakes), so I brought some things to make my table look pretty. I was happy with how it turned out and I got a lot of rave reviews on how pretty and delicious my table looked.I did 8 different cupcake flavors for people to try. At the beginning, it was slow and not many people were coming to my table, which surprised me because I thought my mini cupcakes looked delicious and would attract people. What was happening was that people were eating all the savory stuff first before ending with dessert. As the evening progressed, I got more popular and people were popping those little cupcakes like their life depended on it and I was pleased. People were taking the brochures and business cards I put out and even taking a few home for their families.
As is customary at a chamber event, they did some drawings for door prizes. My two little ones were the only children there and our buddy Jeff Todd was really good at getting Jasmin involved and giving her a job so she wouldn't get into trouble. She walked around to all the vendors to make sure their business cards were put in the pot and then she stood by Jeff as he called out the names of the winners. It was so funny, she stood there with her little nose in the air - her head so far back I thought she would fall backwards. I don't know why she did that but she was very proud to be helping and proudly told me that she "had a job".The event was a great success and I look forward to doing it again next year.

0 comments: