Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Jasmine's Marvelous Me

To help the kids learn about each other and I suspect to get the accustomed to talking in front of a group, the teacher had one student per day in September and October do a Marvelous Me. The involved doing a poster that represented who you are and then telling the class what everything meant. The kids are also allowed to bring a special snack that they can share with the class during snack time.
Jasmine and I spent a lot of time together at the computer discussing what she would like to put on the poster and I printed a lot of pictures per her direction. It was so fun to spend time with her and have her tell me the things she loves. The great thing is that I knew all the things she was telling me but it made it fun to hear her tell me about it.
Once we had all the pictures printed and cut out, we set out to glue the pictures onto the poster-board in a collage fashion. Lorne and Ava participated with us as well. Jasmine is a very vocal child and she had no problems directing the project so it would look how she wanted. We had so many pictures chosen that we put some on the back of the poster as well.
I decided that this would be a great keepsake for her as a snapshot of who Jasmine is at age 4 and so I set out to have the poster laminated. It was a bit late and so when I got to Staples I was upset to find it closed.
I decided to make my way into Old Town Alexandria to go to a Fed Ex Kinkos (they are open 24/7) and have it done there. Once I got there, they informed me they were out of laminating plastic and that I would have to try somewhere else. I then drove to Springfield where there is another such store and finally, I had success and got the poster laminated. The things we do for our kids!
Jasmine was the first child to go after the teachers and Lorne and I wanted to watch her present. We asked the teacher if that would be OK and she said sure. We stood in the back corner so we wouldn't distract her.She was amazing. She had no problems speaking in front of the class and I was smiling so big as I watched her and when she said things that were cute or funny I tried not to laugh too loud so she wouldn't be distracted. Ava sat quietly watching her sister and Lorne stood with me and we were very proud parents.
She didn't miss a beat, and pointed to each picture and explained what it meant and why she chose it. She talked about her love for her family and for her sister and her grandparents. We made sure to have both sets of grandparents on the poster and she had fun showing off her pictures. The teacher would periodically ask her questions and she answered brilliantly. I wish I would have brought my video camera because it was the most amazing moment. She was even excited to spell her entire name for the class.
Later, she shared her mini cupcakes with the class and they had bees on them for her middle name ( she chose chocolate and fairy floss - her favorites). She loved her Miss Marvelous Me day and she reminded us after we picked her up from school later that day that this was her special day.

1 comments:

Susan said...

I wish I was there. I am sure she was terrific!