Saturday, May 17, 2008

Popcorn Popping

We had a really fun family home evening last Monday that I just had to document. Jasmine has really enjoyed the song Popcorn popping that she learned in Nursey and we sing it all the time. I had the idea that for a fun family home evening activity we could sing the song and after the lesson we could make popcorn balls like the song mentions. So I looked up a recipe and luckily we had all the ingredients at hand and had a fabulous time making them. Jasmine loved watching the popcorn machine pop out the corn and she helped when it was time to form the balls. We ate some and they were yummy! The recipe we used made about 20 popcorn balls and while we shared a few, we ate many of them ourselves! Jasmine also took a few to school in her lunch. I am including the recipe at the bottom in case you want to give them a try! They were simple and fun.

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup margarine
2 teaspoons cold water
2 5/8 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup marshmallows
5 quarts plain popped popcorn

DIRECTIONS
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn syrup, margarine, cold water, confectioners' sugar and marshmallows. Heat and stir until the mixture comes to a boil. Carefully combine the hot mixture with the popcorn, coating each kernel.
Grease hands with vegetable shortening and quickly shape the coated popcorn into balls before it cools. Wrap with cellophane or plastic wrap and store at room temperature.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was just about to say "Holy Cow - 5 quarts of popcorn... that's about 5 litres which makes it an awful lot of popcorn"... but then I thought to myself - 'Ah, she probably means ONCE ITS POPPED!!!'
Still quite a lot but I guess not nearly as much as I thought! Duh.

Susan said...

I didn't know there were recipes for popcorn balls. It must be an American thing :)