Monday, May 17, 2010

Tortas Fritas

There is a tradition in Uruguay that when it rains, we make tortas fritas. These are fried dough cakes that are covered in sugar and they are delicious and remind me of when I was a kid. It was always a special treat when my mom would make them for us and I have wanted to give them a try for a while. It so happened that I got lucky and it was rainy on a day I didn't have to be at work and there wasn't too much to do so I decided it was the perfect afternoon for tortas fritas.
I made the dough and then began to fry them and they turned out perfectly. Even better, everyone loved them and they didn't last long! I can't wait for another rainy, lazy afternoon to make them again. Maybe if you are lucky, you might be visiting and could try some...is your mouth watering yet?

0 comments: