Monday, February 16, 2009

Jasmine's New Room

Since our new girly bundle of joy will need the crib when she is born, we made a decision to move Jasmine out of the nursery and create a big girl room for her. I spent a lot of time on the Internet searching for bedding that I thought Jasmine would like that would be good quality and last at least 10 years. I refuse to re-decorate her room before she is 12 years old. I also needed the things I bought to be relatively affordable as bedding and all the accessories to match can be very pricey. And since I have expensive taste, everything I liked was too expensive.
I finally found a line of bedding called Kidsline that made a pattern called Ladybug that had the color scheme I was going for and wasn't too young or old for Jasmine. I showed it to her and she loved it! I ordered the bedding and when it came, we took the pillow to the store and matched some paint.
Lorne is a saint when it comes to lovingly doing what I ask in the pain department. I have been on a stripes kick and for those who follow this blog, you have seen the stripes at the bakery and so I came up with a stripe pattern I wanted for Jasmine's room. Darker pink stripes on a light pink wall. We were re-painting the red room (for those of our out of town family and friends, many of you have had the privilege of sleeping in that room) - for those unfamiliar, here is what the red room used to look like:This required 2 coats of primer and 2 base coats before even adding the stripes. Lorne has had so much experience painting in our home that he has gotten very quick at painting and very good at it. We don't have many mistakes at all anymore and he knows how to combat drips and things. I took some pictures of him painting Jasmine's room so she would see in later years how much daddy loves her. I have similar ones when he was painting the nursery.Once all the painting was done, we were ready to find Jasmine a big girl bed. I wanted something feminine with a trundle and storage and we found just what we needed at Ikea. The price was also right when I went trying to compare these types of beds at other places. Lorne and I put it together and we were happily surprised that it was easy to do and didn't take that long at all.
We put the room together and the transformation was breathtaking to me. It was a little girl paradise. The furniture in the room used to belong to me when I was a little girl and it is so fun for me to pass it on to my daughter to use. It is very good furniture and has good storage so it will be great for years to come.Most importantly was Jasmine reaction. She squealed with delight when she saw her room and was so excited to move in. I brought in all her clothes and little trinkets that she loves and it was a good time for me to purge of some of the stuff she didn't need anymore. She brought her dolls and put them in the bed with her and her first night sleeping in the bed was very exciting. She was happy to go to bed and climbed in after prayers and looked so cute in the bed I couldn't resist a few snapshots of her.Now that she is comfortably moved, it is time to redo the nursery for Baby Zsa-Zsa. When that is done, I will let you all have a peek at the finished project. I guess we better get on it since we are about 8 weeks out from potential birth!

8 comments:

The Tones of the Zarcone's said...

Adorable! I must say that your bedroom furniture looks a lot better with this decor then it did against the red and blue before.

It is also nice that she will have plenty of room to play in the center of the room. Most important for children!

xoxo,
C

Dayna said...

How lovely! You did a fantastic job.

Shelly said...

I don't even recognize the room. How beautiful. Bravo to your both, what a wonderful job!

Summer said...

You two did an amazing job!The perfect room for a princess. You two must run on rocket fuel or something, you have so much more energy that I do!

Jill said...

Wow! It looks fabulous. No wonder Jasmine loves it. Isn't it interesting how the green in the new bedding brings out the green in the furniture? Love it!

Sara said...

I would squeal with delight if that were my room too! Great Job!

Emmy said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. .. I mean REALLY gorgeous! Great job, both of you! Sabrina - your eye and talent for art is inspiring! Come decorate my house, please! Where did you get that dresser/desk system? IT Is STUNNING! So is Jasmine! And, Lorne, I won't leave you out. . you look adorable painting! :) And, of course, I have a soft spot for my breathtaking, sweet friend Sabrina, too.

Rachel said...

So jealous! Wanted that bed for Jenna for years! LOL Jasmines room is great! Not to shabby for the mommy to be! Summers right....you must run on rocket fuel!