Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jasmine's Big Playdate

One night, Jasmine was asking if she could have a play date with her friends. I instantly felt guilty because I haven't done many play dates and Jasmine is a super social child. She also has a lot of friends she feels close to, even at this young age. So, I decided right then and there to call up Kelleen and invite her girls over on Inauguration Tuesday for a play date. Kelleen agreed and I looked at Jasmine and told her she would be having a play date. She looked up at me and said, "But Mommy, you have to call AJ and Nita's Mommy too." So I did - I called Chrissy and she seemed happy with the idea of a play date that same day. I felt happy to expand the group and hung up the phone. Again, those beautiful green eyes looked up at me and said, "Mommy, you have to call Chloe's Mommy because she is one of my best friends!". I looked at her and said OK but that this was my limit. With Chloe, that gave me a 6 child group and that was on the verge of becoming a party, not a play date! Chloe's Mom Mary agreed and sounded excited as well.
On Monday, I decided I wanted to commemorate the Inaguration by doing some activities that the kids could enjoy that were partriotic and fun. I also wanted to feed them lunch so I decided that the kids would make their own pizza. I found out what each child liked and made sure their favorite toppings were there.
I also went to the party store and got some balloons to make the place look pretty and also a flag for each child. We went to the craft store and bought some foam visors and things to decotae them with so the kids could have a craft to do as well. Jasmine was super happy and asking lots of questions as we prepared for the Big play date as she called it.I decorated the kitchen and before the guests were to arrive, Jasmine and I sat in front of the computer and watched the streaming video from the Capital building and I explained to Jasmien why this day was important and I taught her the name of the new president and vice-president. When she saw President Obama, she exclaimed, "Mommy, he's cute!" and I laughed because she is such a girl.
She watched in awe as the President was sworn in and also enjoyed the music - I even taught her who Izzack Perlman is and Yo-Yo Ma and she loved their music and said she wanted to play like him. It was great.
The guests arrived shortly after and the moms all decided to stay and help and hang out with me which I was happy and grateful for. There was no need, I would have been happy to give them a break but since they wanted to, I wasn't going to argue!The kids had a great time making their pizza and it was very tasty. They made enough that there was even pizza left over. While the pizza baked, the kids did their craft and they made the cutest hats ever!After lunch, we all headed downstairs for play time and I also put a movie on for the kids. Us moms sat around on the couch and chatted and got to know one another better. I really enjoyed that time and it was so nice that Jasmine was so entertained with all her friends. I really wish that this next baby would be born big enough to play with Jasmine right away but I guess we will have to wait a few years for the built in playmate thing.
I took some pictures of the kids together before they left and I was elated that it seemed everyone had a good time. I hope to do another play date next month. Maybe we will do a Valentine Day theme or a President's Day theme!

2 comments:

Dayna said...

What a great mommy you are! That looks more like a party than a play date :) And don't worry babies get big soooo quick that they will be playing sooner than you think! Valentino is Mariano's favorite playmate...and they are 3 years apart. Same with Mya and Mariano!

Anonymous said...

These are great, love M's face in the last picture.