Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hillwood Museum

Marcia told me about a treasure I had yet to discover in Washington DC called the Hillwood Museum, which was the estate that belonged to Marjorie Merriweather Post, the heiress of the Post company. Her father invented Postum. Anyhow, she was a serious collector of French and Russian art and artifacts and made her home into a museum to display all that she had collected through the years. When she dies, the house was willed to be a museum where the public could come and admire her treasures. And what treasures she collected! It blew my mind as I tried to conceive of how much money this woman must have spent and what the collection is worth now. If you ever have some time, I highly recommend visiting the Hillwood.The gardens are amazing, and the orchids growing in the greenhouse are fantastic. They also have a little cafe on the estate where you can eat lunch and the food was delicious and reasonably priced. There is a Dacha on the grounds (a Russian holiday home) where they have visiting exhibits and a Visitor's Center where you can watch a film about Ms. Post and buy some things at the souvenir shop.Lorne's parents had a great time there as they are history buffs and enjoy these types of places. I was lucky enough to go while Jasmine was in school so I didn't have to watch her so she wouldn't touch or break anything. I have decided there are places out there that just aren't appropriate for young children and The Hillwood is one of them. Next time any of you out of towners visit, I will have to take you to the Hillwood!

2 comments:

Susan said...

How about us in-towners?

Tal gal said...

Sounds like fun. And what a cute sweater love it!