Saturday, February 16, 2008

Some Male Musings...

Hey All, after many many moons of Sabrina writing this family blog I have finally decided to force myself (Lorne) to sit down and write. Obviously I'm very proud of all the things Sabrina has done, and I'm very supportive of the blog (...I confess, I sometimes use it to stay in touch with my own family when I travel...sad. I know.).

I also know most of the website has been about Jasmine and Cake. Just wait - one day there'll be a Jasmine Cake, and then the universe will implode. So today you'll get my perspective.

As has been common for the past several months, I've been traveling for work Monday through Friday. I had hoped that when I made my quota for the year (YAY!) the work would get easier... but in fact when you prove you can achieve - more just gets lumped onto the plate. So its obviously a mixed blessing. A typical week for me : Monday 7am, flight from DC to NYC. In meeting with customers Monday and Tuesday... Late Tuesday travel (drive) to Philadelphia...or Harrisburg, and have meetings Wed and Thursday. Thursday afternoon flight to (fill in the blank, Norfolk VA, Charlotte NC, or Miami FL)... then flight back to DC Friday night. EXHALE. Urgghhh. Finally to be back with the family for the weekend (...and generally church meetings for several hours on both Sat and Sun). You think I'm kidding about losing the weekends to Church meetings? A typical example: today I have 4 hours of Stake conference (5 hours with travel time)... and then tomorrow conference...only 2 hours.

This has been the same every weekend this year... around 7 hours each weekend of Church stuff. Last weekend, there was a Church Training session on spending more time with our families... I think I'll follow that instruction, and try to limit my attendance at these extraneous meetings.

So this week we celebrated Valentine's Day. For some, a time of romance... for me, my main priority was simply to be home with the family. It took a great deal of effort, canceling meetings, turning down others, rushing to airports, praying flights would leave on time...All to arrive home 10 mins before taking my wife and baby out for a nice dinner. Funny, when I think about it - I had been looking forward to being home with my family all week long. For me, that's what made my Valentine's day special. Just to be home with them. No flowers, no chocolates... all I had for Sabrina was a card telling her how much she means to me. Even to say I love her isn't enough - since when you love someone with your whole self, words can never be enough. She is my life, and my joy each day and night. She is the one perfect thing about my life, and I pray every day that she is kept safe - and blessed for all she brings to our family. Thank you my Angel for all you are, and all you do.

Finally a blog here wouldn't be complete without a reference to Jasmine. She's my little valentine. I was thinking this morning about how the cute things she says are starting to go away. She used to pronounce 'ketchup' - "Ke-pup"... and 'sleeping beauty', "sleepy budda".. but now she's starting to pronounce the real words. Its sad she has to grow up and lose that. But wait... she did say something to me last night that melted my heart, "Daddy I love you...You are my Sweet!". I guess I can replace Ke-pup with that. Kisses to my Little Bee.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Thanks for sharing your perspective on things and your beautiful thoughts in regards to your wonderful wife and family.

Tal gal said...

What a treat to hear from you Lorne! I don't think I would be able to bribe Mark to write on ours maybe one day....