Thursday, February 7, 2008

How her little mind works


I love that Jasmine is so communicative because she always says things that make me laugh and give me insight on how her mind is working.
We have been doing some potty training and typically these days she wakes up with a diaper that isn't full (if we get to her right when she wakes up). We have been putting her on the potty and she will go and is very proud of herself. A few days ago, I wasn't sure if she would go, the diaper was half full and I didn't know if I had gotten to her in time. I asked her if she wanted to go to the potty and she said yes. She sat for a few minutes and then looked into my eyes very seriously. She said, "Mom, I can't do it, I need batteries." I just looked at her and said, "Jasmine, where would we put them?" and she said sternly, "In the fridge Mom". I burst out laughing because she knows I keep the batteries in the refridgerator and she has been really into opening and looking inside the fridge for a while.
A few weeks ago I had an experience that let me know I really do need to be careful of what I say. I used to get really mad and scream and yell at people when they did stupid things on the road. After I had Jasmine I made a conscious decision to be better about that because it was not appropriate behavior for her to see. I toned it down to just calling people idiots under my breath when they do something dumb.
We were cruising down the road and I saw this guy who was having a hard time staying in his lane and as I got closer to pass him on the left, he began to mosey into my lane so I honked at him but said nothing. Jasmine, from the back seat says, "Mommy? Is he an idiot?" I was stunned that she had picked up on that and said to her, "No honey, he is just confused." Now I am trying not to call people idiots! Having a 2 year old is tough on my vocab!
I am having a lot of fun teaching Jasmine her self worth and building her confidence. She is very into princesses and knows she is one as well. We have bought her several princess dresses for her to play dress up and she loves to wear them and prance around the house. Last Saturday, I promised her that after her nap she could dress like Sleeping Beauty when she woke up and she didn't let me forget it. When she woke up, I got her into her gear, tiara, earrings and all (she calls the earrings her jewels). When I was done getting her prettied up she looked up and me and smiled and said, "Mommy, now I can marry a prince." This little phrase touched my heart and I told her that she would mappy a prince someday and he would take her to the temple. She just looked and me and smiled and scampered out of the room. What a sweetie!
Jasmine is quite the little planner. It amazes me that she has grasped the principle of waiting for things and planning for later. Many kids her age can only think in the now. When Jasmine wants something and I tell her no, she will often look at me and say, "Ok Mommy, we can do it later." She also makes plans all day. For example I will say to her, It's lunch time." and she will say, "Mommy and then after lunch I want to play and watch tv and then have a noni (nap)." The most amazing thing is that she tries to proceed and follow through on the plans she makes for herself. She is also fine if I say no to her and tell her she can do whatever she is asking for later. She accepts it and will wait for later. It is amazing to me that she comprehends that she can't always have everything now.

3 comments:

Summer said...

There is nothing like kids to refine your vocabulary! Thanks for sharing Jasmine's cuteness with us!

Tal gal said...

Wow, I can't believe how grown up she is getting!She looks darling with her pink cast!! Now all the preschoolers are going to want to break their wrist to get one too!

Dayna said...

Unbelievable how much she looks like you in this picture!