Thursday, August 23, 2007

Not for the Faint of Heart

So we took an enjoyable walk to the playground today so that Jasmine could play with her friends Marin & Kirsten. She became very fixated on the snacks I had brought for her but I knew she had already had plenty to eat for breakfast so I told her that she could drink her drink but the snacks would have to wait until we were on our way home. She kept asking me every 10 minutes or so and the response was always the same. A few time she tried screaming at me and I told her that we could go home if she wanted and she said no, and would keep playing. Towards the time we needed to come home she asked for a snack again and I told her that we would be leaving to go home in a few minutes and she could have the snack then. She screamed NO at the top of her lungs, drew a breath in ready to cry and then stopped breathing. I went and grabbed her and tried blowing in her face and nothing was happening as she turned blue. I started to get really scared and thought I was going to lose her and then another mother (thanks Karen) grabbed Jasmine out of my arms (this was after she closed her eyes turned bluer and her head rolled back into my hands) and put Jasmine over her shoulder and whacked her on the back a few times and after what seemed like an eternity Jasmine finally took a breath and started crying. I don't have to tell you the relief that washed over me and then was followed by sobbing as all the emotion came running to the surface. It made me feel like such a novice mom. But I guess your kid doesn't faint everyday so I wasn't prepared for that one.

0 comments: