Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dealing with the crap - literally!

OK - so this is in response to my dear friend Shelly's post about dealing with the crap in her home. Well, she should have been a fly on the wall at my house today - now I am going to tell you about what dealing with the crap really means! There were 2 not so fun things I had to deal with today - Number 1 - a clogged toilet, and Number 2 - a defrosted freezer.
Number 1 - The clogged Toilet
This toilet has been clogged for 2 days - that's right folks, when I got home yesterday afternoon after Lorne had left to go to the airport, I found a clogged toilet full of - that's right folks - crap. and it was not a pretty sight. Well, I was so busy that I didn't have time to take care of it until this evening. The saga begins when I couldn't find the plunger. Now, Lorne thinks these tools should be left in bathrooms - I disagree. They are nasty and full of germs and how many times do they get washed after they have done a dirty deed like unclog a toilet? Besides, not in my remodeled bathrooms will you find a plunger!
Exasperated, I went to the garage to look for it but our garage is a MESS and while I was out there I discovered problem number 2 (more on that later). I picked up some of the trash to make a path for myself and lo and behold - there was the plunger. I went inside to plunge away and within a few seconds, we were clear but the plunger was a sanitary nightmare so I put it outside to hose off later. I was really wishing Lorne was home so he could have taken care of this mess but alas, my husband is gone all the time!
Number 2 - Defrosted Freezer
As I was looking for the plunger, I noticed that the freezer door was open! This is NOT a good sign as it needs to stay closed to keep the cool air IN. Well, I think it must have been open all day because nearly everything in there was defrosted - and if you have ever seen my freezer, that is a lot of food! Well, I had to get to work. So after I put Jasmine to bed, I marched in the garage and began throwing away food that I knew was not going to keep and also was not good anymore now that it had sat in a water puddle all day. My heart sank as I did this - my trashcan is now full of food!
I was able to salvage a few things, and tomorrow I will cook the 3 lbs. of cubed beef and the full ham I managed to save. Some of you may find me on your porch offering you one of the 6 packages of bacon that had thawed!
Needless to say this freezer was a mess so after I took the food inventory I had to take out some of the glaciers that had formed from the last 2 years that I haven't defrosted the thing. I got soaked doing this task but it HAD to be done and if I didn't do it, who would? Well, here is the picture of what it looked like when I was done.

Now, this is what I call taking care of the crap!

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Amen! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. It never ends does it?

Jill said...

Wow! that freezer looks COMPLETELY different than how I've always seen it! What a huge job!

Emmy said...

plunger = nasty. Good call on keeping it out of the living areas! Sorry about your day - ick!