Saturday, February 23, 2013

It's A...

We wanted to do something fun to announce the gender of our baby since this is the last one we are planning on having.  I have seen so many cute ideas that people have done and honestly, it never occurred to me before when I was previously pregnant to make a big hoopla over a gender announcement, but I must say, Pinterest has a way of sweeping me into being more over the top than normal.  I am sure my husband rues the day Pinterest was formed and I discovered it. 

Many people tend to throw a party and have a special cake that they have tinted blue or pink on the inside and the gender is revealed when they cut into it.  Frankly, I did not have the energy to throw such a party and I wanted to announce to a larger amount of people at one time so I decided to go the photo shoot route and then post it on Facebook.  That is exactly what we did. 

Now to be fair, we knew the sex of the baby but the girls didn't know and we told no one else.  We found out before our cruise.  Lorne wouldn't even let us tell strangers on the cruise, I suppose he feared if we talked about it too much, we would let it slip before we made the grand announcement.


Lorne wasn't 100% sold on the photo shoot thing but I think to be a good sport and do something I wanted, he went along with it.  He even came up with one of the concepts we tried.  It wasn't one I was wild about but I didn't want him not to have fun and there was no harm done so I let it happen (more on that later). 

It was so damn cold when we did our photo shoot.  We had been having a very mild winter and no snow so we didn't expect it to be so cold the day we chose to do this shoot outside.  In fact, it started snowing while we were out there.  You can't tell from the photos, but man we were dying.  By the time we went back inside, I couldn't feel my fingers anymore and the girls were complaining.  It was in the 20's which for us had been quite a shock from the average temps of 40's and 50's all winter long.

The first thing we did was the balloon shoot - this was one I wanted to do.  The reactions of the girls are real, they didn't know until they opened the boxes what we were having.  I should also explain, the boxes were small and only one balloon would fit and we wanted them each to have a chance at opening it so we did two boxes, one friend took this to mean we were having two babies, that is NOT the case.  Thank Goodness.






The second shoot we did was melons and bananas.  Lorne thought it might be funny to use fruit to reveal the gender in a cheeky way.  Most people agree, this fell flat.  We share the pictures because we have a good sense of humor, but believe me, there are many that you will never see.  I would not recommend anyone else try this...



The last shoot we did was inside, in the bakery using cupcakes.  We felt it fitting because that is that I do and it was cute as well.  I like how these pictures came out but my favorites were the balloons.












As you can see, we are having a BOY!  Pretty much 98% of you all thought so and seem to want us to have a boy more than we do!  To be clear, I am happy the baby is healthy and I think having a boy will give us a new experience but I am not going to lie and pretend that I am not terrified at the thought.  I know we will be fine and we will get used to it, but being so girl centered for almost 8 years makes it hard to change. 

1 comments:

The Tones of the Zarcone's said...

I felt the same way when we found out we were having a boy - after having a little girl and only have girls in my daycare (six at one time), I felt like I was looking at uncharted territory. Besides peeing in ways outside the diaper that girls can't, they aren't much different in the beginning. Shopping isn't as much fun (I found myself in the beginning looking at little infant girl clothing and had to remind myself I was having a boy) and the selection is limited in comparison, but so far, he is much more snuggly and just like Jas and Ava are different, he is wonderfully different than his sis, regardless of gender. You will love it and it will be a nice change. :) Again, congrats!