Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Epic Win




So I am going to take a post and brag a moment.  Those of you who know me well know that I like a good competition and that I am a fierce competitor when I am good at something.  I play to win, it isn't fun for me when I don't.  I know, I know, I need to work on that.

I was raised to be the best at what I love and so with that in mind, I love me some karaoke and always take every opportunity to sing when I can.  Especially when we cruise and they have it every night.  A girl can get spoiled with all those opportunities to be a star.  I know I take complete advantage.

It took me three qualifying rounds to make the finals but finally, I prevailed and was poised for the finals on our last night aboard the Norwegian Star.  It was a day at sea so I contemplated what I wanted to sing.  There were so many options depending on the game I wanted to play but in the end, after much discussion with Lorne (until he didn't want to hear about it anymore), we settled on Where the Boys Are by Connie Francis.  I have been singing this song in public since I was 12 years old and it is a song I am very comfortable with and a song that is right in the sweet spot of my range.   Not to mention, that with the average age of the people on our cruise, they were bound to love it.  It was after all my dad who introduced me to the song.

There were 7 of us in the finals.  All good singers - this wasn't going to be easy and I had heard each of them qualify.  I knew that I probably wouldn't win but I was going to enjoy it anyway.  I was going to be sure I gave it my best shot.  One after another, the singers got up and gave it their best shot and they were doing a fine job. 

I sang second to last which I was happy about because I had wanted to hear most everyone before I had a turn.  They decided the winner based on audience applause and the decision of the three judges who were chosen out of the audience. 


When we had all had a chance to sing, they called us all up there to announce the winner.  I was absolutely stunned and floored when I won.  There have been times when I have competed in events and known and felt in my bones I would win but this time I was very unsure.  I knew I had performed well but I didn't know against the slot of good performers if it would be enough to win.  When they called my name you would have thought I won Miss America!  I was so surprised and so very happy. 

Lorne was very proud and he even told me he had filmed my performance.  At first I wasn't sure I wanted to watch it but I did and I am still happy with the performance even though the video doesn't do it justice.  Lorne said I was the best that night and if I hadn't won, he would have known it was somehow rigged.

It was just a cruise ship competition but it was an epic win to me - There must have been 300-400 people in that room and they all told me that I had been the best and how they had enjoyed me and the song I had chosen.  The judges came up to me and told me that they loved how I had connected to the audience and that the choice had been unanimous.  I was the most famous person on the ship for the next 12 hours before we all got off.

I got a trophy and a bag of Norwegian prizes.  I had people stopping me in the halls of the ship, and in the breakfast line.  I overheard people talking about me (which was fun because they were saying good things).  One couple who didn't know I was approaching were talking and the man said, "She was so good, the best I have heard, if you closed your eyes you would have sworn she was Connie Francis."  I grinned and thanked them and they hugged me and gushed some more. 

I could get used to that kind of treatment...but alas, I am at home again and just Sabrina...but happy to be me.

1 comments:

Erin said...

so cool! i'm sure you deserved it. :-)