Monday, February 18, 2013

Third Port of Call - Honduras


I thought I had been to Honduras before and I am still not sure but this port didn't look familiar to me.  It was awesome though.  If I had to choose my favorite from this trip, Honduras would be it.  We docked at Roatan which is an island off the mainland of Honduras. 

I had decided that I wanted to go snorkeling.  I had never done it before and I wanted to take advantage and do an adult activity that we normally wouldn't have been able to do with the kids there.  The bad news was that when I went to book the snorkeling excursion that sounded amazing, it was sold out.  I guess everyone else had the same idea.



I wasn't too put out, if our experience had taught us anything, we knew we could get off the boat and negotiate with someone to take us snorkeling. 

Indeed it did not take us long to find a guy who owned a hotel on Half Moon Bay called the Beach House to take us there for $15 each.  He also showed us where we could rent snorkeling equipment for $5 for the whole day.  We rented the equipment and were able to snorkel right off the beach.  A few people had tried to get us to go out on a boat but we didn't need to. 

The second largest barrier reef in the world runs from the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico down through Belize and Honduras, making snorkeling and scuba very popular activities.  One day I would like to try scuba but of course being pregnant didn't make that possible this time.



We swam the whole Half Moon Bay in two hours and had a blast.  We were so close to the coral and saw probably 60-70 different kinds of fish.  We saw some barracuda, squid and millipede things as well.  We got to swim with a big school of fish and that was really cool.  I had never seen anything like it and was enthralled to feel like I was swimming in a huge aquarium.

Afterward, we laid out and dried off a bit before heading back to the boat.  It was a super fun and relaxing afternoon and I could have snorkeled for many more hours than we did.  Being in the gorgeous clear water where things were peaceful and calm was so nice.



After getting back on the boat, eating some lunch and showering off, we participated in our nightly fun of watching a show, having dinner and karaoke.  

0 comments: