Tuesday, September 28, 2010

IBIE Day 3

I started Day 3 in a couple more morning seminars. Theme Based Merchandising which I don't do a lot of and after listening to the lady talk about it, I don't know if I am going to do more - it seems like a lot of work and very expensive - and the second seminar was Sculpted Cake - Pricing and Marketing Strategy. In listening to these cake artists talk about how they price their works of art, I realized that there are multiple ways of doing it and there is no wrong way. It all goes back to a basic economic principle - something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Obviously, time factors in as well - the longer it takes me to make you a cake, the more expensive it will be.Day 3 was when I really go to spend a lot of time exploring the vendor and exhibit halls. It was massive. The pictures do not do it justice. I walked for miles and saw so much stuff and ate so many sweets of all kinds and breads. I never needed to buy lunch, there was always something to nibble on. I ate a fresh donut everyday, panna cotta from another vendor, cakes, chocolates, breads, you name it. Even Gelato.They had a cake competition going for the full four day event and it was fascinating to watch these cake artists do their thing while hundreds of people watched and they had to do cakes in many different categories.That evening, I decided to go to the Chef Rubber open house since I had a rental car and I could get these easy. It was fun - there was more ice cream and chocolates to taste and I bought a couple of tools I needed.
The night was young and I was in Vegas so I decided to spend some time on the strip. I found parking, walked around for a bit, did a little slot machine gambling (spent all of $2) in New York New York, drank a free juice while playing the slots and then called it a night and went home. I know what you are thinking - I am a crazy animal!

0 comments: