Monday, September 27, 2010

IBIE Day 2

On the second day of IBIE, I sat in seminars all morning. One was called Baking Healthy - Using Alternative Ingredients and while it was very interesting, it didn't really apply to what I do. The stuff that makes my product taste good is real butter and sugar, not substitutes. Plus, I can't change some of my ingredients because as a decorator, I need my product to be stable in a certain way so I can decorate it.The next one I sat in was called Wedding Cakes - Sales, Production and Delivery and that was a panel of three well known cake artists who answered questions about these types of issues for an hour and a half. It was very interesting because listening to the questions and answers helped me know I am doing all the right things in my business. The panelists explained a lot of things they do in their business and as I listened, I thought, "Hey! I do that too!". That made me feel good that I doing the right stuff.I spent more time in the afternoon in one the four huge exhibit halls and met Courtney Clark - another famous cake artist. She was searching for packaging for cake truffles and I happened to be doing the same thing. I met her at the Callebut Chocolate Booth (which is the fine Belgium Chocolate I use).In addition to classes, seminars and vendor booths, they also had various competitions going on during this expo and the pastry chefs making bread sculptures was amazing. I took the time and got a couple of pics.When exhausting Day 2 was done, I was in the mood to go out and get an In and Out burger so I convinced the Hopkinsons to go with me and we did and I ate, conquered and enjoyed. The double animal style burger was amazing.

0 comments: