Sunday, September 14, 2008

Apple Festival and other Adventures

On Saturday after Jasmine's ballet class we decided to go for an adventure. Stribling Orchard in Markham VA (in Faquier County) was having an apple festival and we decided it would be super fun to go. We got in the car and drove about an hour before we arrived. When we got there, we noticed it wasn't much of a festival, just some vendors and apples for sale and also an opportunity to go and pick your own apples (which we weren't inclined to do that day). No matter, we had fun looking around, tasting some fun stuff and buying some fresh apples from the tree and other yummy products including peach and apple cider, peach butter, a bag of apples, honey toasted pecans, sugar and cinnamon donut and apple sticks.
Jasmine had fun eating apples and drinking a small bottle of cider and we enjoyed the country atmosphere. She walked around like she owned the place and even had some of the staff cutting up apples for her to eat. We left feeling like there as more to discover so we set out to have some more adventures and have a look around the area.The first thing we found when we left the orchard was a house that was having an Estate sale so we decided why not stop? They had a lot of interesting things and if I were a different kind of person who decorated my house differently, I am sure I would have found a lot of treasures. As it was, we had fun looking around and didn't buy anything.The next stop we made was at another farm where you could pick your own lots of things. We decided to stop and pick some berries. We brought home a basket of raspberries and blackberries that we picked together as a family. I think Jasmine ate more of them than she put in the little basket and sadly, I didn't get any pictures of that part of our adventure. We ended up using the berries Sunday night when Lorne made us Raspberry pancakes for dinner.
We got back in the car with our berries and went driving along some more when we found a neighborhood with a HUGE model house open. Since we love to look at houses, we stopped. It was an 8,000 square foot home on 3.6 acres of land for the bargain price of $1.5 million. We actually thought it was a good deal and we found out it was only 25 minutes away from Dulles airport, meaning, if we had the cash and could afford it, it would be close enough to an airport. Well, we can dream can't we?We started to get a bit hungry so I decided that I wanted to stop at the City Square Cafe on the way home and have some food. We surprised Tia and Tio and arrived at the same time they did. They even had time to sit with us while we ate our food and we had a great time.
All in all, we had an adventuresome day and had fun being together as a family. It really was such a nice day and I enjoyed every minute of it!

5 comments:

Summer said...

Looked twice to bump you over
10 000!

I love going to farms! Mmmmm, berries!

Unknown said...

"if I were a different kind of person who decorated my house differently, I am sure I would have found a lot of treasures."
This is code for:
'the house was decorated by blind people', or
'it felt like it was home to the cat lady', or
'Hannibal Lecter would have felt very welcome', or possibly
'if you could get the smell of dead people out of the stuff, it would have been fantastic!'.
;-)
Love the blog as always, wish we could have been with you, my kids would have loved to be in apple country.
Can I just be a bit nitpicky and say I'm not sure adventuresome is an actual word??? Of course, your husband doesn't feel contrained in that way either, just ask him to sing the Lorne Campbell version of any given song!
;-)
Take care.

Shelly said...

I LOVE looking at houses, especially huge beautiful ones like that one. Matt and I went looking at model homes just for fun a couple of months ago, it was great. I don't think I could ever tire of it.

Susan said...

Who can keep such a huge house clean! Great adventure

Unknown said...

Susan
Good point - I thought exactly the same thing. Now, if you took yourself back to good old antebellum Virginia then you'd be ok on the housework but of course, you'd have other issues to deal with.
It is a monster house 'though.