Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lorne and the saga of the finger

So, not everything can be hunky dory all the time.  On Monday I had to take Jasmine to Herndon for her violin lesson so I asked Lorne to please cook dinner.  He was very busy with work so he grumbled about it and I didn't think he would actually do it. 

When I got home and opened the door a delicious smell greeted and me and Lorne poked his head out of the kitchen and asked if I wanted to hear the good news or the bad news first.  I am a bad news first kind of person so as always I asked for the bad news.  He said, "I made scalloped potatoes".  I asked how that was bad news - and then it dawned on me he may have broken something in the process.  So I asked, "What did you break?"  thinking he would say a Pyrex dish or something like that.  He said, "My finger." 

Immediately I thought that meant he had actually broken his finger so I said that even though all they can do is put a splint on it, we should go to the hospital as he is a piano player and he didn't want it healing badly. 

We got in the car and it was only then I realized that he had not broken his finger, but sliced off a piece of the tip of his finger with the mandolin as he was slicing the potatoes for the scalloped potatoes.  He had a wet dishrag wrapped on the finger and I could see that the blood was already seeing through.

The hospital was thankfully not that busy that night so we got back there really fast and when the doctor took a look at the finger there was so much blood.  I can't believe how much blood oozes out of those wounds. 

They gave him a tetanus shot and applied a surgical foam that will eventually turn into collagen so the skin has something to grow over - I felt so bad watching Lorne because he was in so much pain.  There are so many nerve endings on your fingertips that his wound will be tender for a long time. 

Poor baby!  I took a couple of pictures at the hospital of the wrapped up wound.  Lorne can be a whirling dervish in the kitchen so hopefully from how on he will slow down and have some respect for the mandolin!




0 comments: