Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mary & Jeff's Engagement Party

I offered to throw Mary & Jeff an engagement party since they weren't having a reception and I love to throw parties. I have a great contact up at Woodlawn Plantation so I asked her if we could have the party there and she gave me a great deal. She also provided docents to be there and give tours of the first floor of the plantation during the party. I was so excited.
For those of you who don't know, Woodlawn Plantation was a gift George Washington gave to his nephew when he married Nellie Custis. It is a gorgeous place and I highly recommend taking a tour if you are in the area. It is also convenient since it is across the street from my shop.We got there early to set up. I decided that I wanted to throw an elegant dessert party and made up a great menu. We had a chocolate fountain, mini chocolate mousse cups, cream puffs (made by Lorne), Oreo cheesecake bites, fruit tarts, candy and a four tiered wedding cake. Lorne and Jan tirelessly helped me with everything and I couldn't have done it without them.I loved how the room looked and I was super excited for the party to start and to see how Mary & Jeff liked everything. Did I mention that Woodlawn has a great collection of silver serving platters and they let me use them? I was so excited!There were tons of guests - I think 80 people said they were coming and the room was full at all times. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and I was trying to make sure things were filled and everyone had whatever they needed. Did I mention I also played photographer?Their cake really showed their relationship - they met for the fist time face to face at the Cherry Blossoms and so we had that represented on the side of the cake and then for the topper we made a Pirates Chest with an engagement ring inside because Jeff proposed at the water park Pirates Cove.I think it was a very successful night and I think that everyone who came had fun too. I made way too much dessert though - I will be eating it for the next two months.

0 comments: